Experience The Big Creek Greenway Trail

I was there about six years ago and my memory was being challenged. I don’t remember it being long, winding, hilly, shady and well-maintained. Welcome to Alpharetta’s Big Creek Greenway. This 8-plus-mile paved trail that peacefully co-exists with Alpharetta’s Big Creek is a great little exercise respite in the Atlanta metropolitan area.


During the hot summer months, I recommend driving over to the trail on a weekday morning. You can breathe somewhat in the morning and the crowds are not there. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of walkers, joggers and rollerbladers, but they’re fewer in numbers and easy to get around.

For me, going downhill on the Alpharetta Big Creek Greenway gives me resistance and going uphill, gives me a good push. The cool breeze from that push is complimented by the awesome scenery on this well-preserved trail that wends its way through the lazy pines. No sound emanates from the still creek, but the American Robins, Blue Jays, Bluebirds and Cardinals fill the auditory landscape.

I like to park at the Haynes Bridge Road parking lot and head towards the end at Webb Bridge Road. The route takes riders through Kimball Bridge Road, Old Milton Parkway and onto the Ed Isakson Alpharetta YMCA. Once riders hook up to the section of the trail behind the Y, the shade is even more intense. A mountain bike trail is off to the side before reaching Webb Bridge Road.


Somehow heading back to Haynes Bridge seemed quicker than going towards Webb Bridge Road. When I got to my originating point, I passed it and headed towards North Point Parkway. The day was growing hotter, so I headed back to the car which was thankfully in the shade.
The Alpharetta Big Creek Greenway is an awesome, well-marked trail that’s great for outdoor recreation any time of year.

For a map of the trail, visit here.

Comments

Most viewed

Condos. Cutting-edge restaurants. Trendy shopping.

Take time out for Virginia’s Shenandoah region

Flashback: Billy Joel's Sax Player (Mark Rivera profile-March 2007)