All of these anniversaries


It seems that as we age, the more anniversaries we experience. 10 years here. 20 years there. And you realize, “How did that amount time pass?” Lately, I’ve been seeing a lot of 25 and 30 year anniversaries that impact my life. From artists releasing anniversary editions of their huge releases to movie re-releases, this blogger can get quite melancholy at times.

A few months back, pop music duo Tears for Fears released a 30 year anniversary package of their ground-breaking album, Songs from the Big Chair. The three hits that spawned off of that album resonate to this moment in many Generation X’ers and Baby Boomers’ minds to this day. In case you forgot, those three hits include “Everybody Wants to Rule the World,” “Shout,” and “Head Over Heels.” 1985 was Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith’s huge year-in case you never knew, those are the two main players in Tears for Fears. They also have a great backing band. The duo was far from being a one-hit wonder. They followed up Sound from the Big Chair with Seeds of Love later in the 1980s along with fruitful solo careers in the 1990s and of course, reunion tours that are still ongoing. It’s no secret that acts with the caliber of Tears for Fears find that touring is lucrative, but so is re-packaging the classic stuff.

Like many anniversary packages, the original album is beautifully re-mastered from the pristine analog tapes which reveal all types of sounds that were never heard on the original. Also included in these musical packages is a bevy of unreleased material including alternate takes of the released songs, perhaps full songs from those sessions that were never released, maybe official music videos, previously unreleased concert performances, posters and much more. CDs, DVDs, digital downloads and even vinyl versions are part of these re-release offers. The problem with these package releases is that they are quite pricey upon first release. I can wait for that one to drop in price.
Another anniversary that came upon me is the 30th anniversary of The Breakfast Club. What? 30 years! How did that happen? Well, it happened and of course the film was re-mastered, ‘re-premiered’ with some original cast members in attendance at a festival, re-released in theaters and on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Do I feel old? Not really. What annoys me is that it’s such a ‘phenomenon’ that time passed. So, with the brouhaha over the fact that The Breakfast Club is 30 years old, comes the whole “Where are they now?” and “Oh my, has this one actor aged terribly and this one hasn’t.” I’m over it as one can tell.
I graduated high school the same year that The Breakfast Club was originally released. Yes, do the math. I’ve been to previous reunions and most likely, I’ll hit my upcoming reunion because who knows, it could be the last. I’m not one to wallow in nostalgia, but I’m one to remember where we were, where we are and where we are going in life. I hope to attend the summer reunion, re-connect with former classmates and learn a thing or two at the end of the event. As for who aged better than the other, I’m sure some will fixate on that, but I could care less. Just like the Tears for Fears and The Breakfast Club re-releases, we too, are getting together as re-packaged products. Yes, that sounds funny and strange, but think about it – we improved our minds with further education and experiences, so yes, we’re ‘re-packaged!’ As for looks: Everyone looks great. We need to stop obsessing over fighting time and enjoy the moment.

My daughter asks me about what was it like in the 1980s on occasion and most of the time, I reference The Breakfast Club. Director John Hughes did a spectacular job at capturing teen angst in the mid-1980s. One of my English teachers at the time said, “You all don’t have ‘a time.’” I replied in my mind that it was the mid-1980s that was “our time.” It was just in progress. So I say to my daughter that her time is now-whatever one calls this decade. I think she gets it.


Comments

Most viewed

Condos. Cutting-edge restaurants. Trendy shopping.

Take time out for Virginia’s Shenandoah region

Flashback: Billy Joel's Sax Player (Mark Rivera profile-March 2007)