They say it's your birthday

Today is my birthday. Just like every passing year, I don’t feel any different psychologically, emotionally or physically. I didn’t wake up today and thought to myself, “Uh-oh, everything is going off the rails starting today.” Give me a break.

Birthdays are truly just a number. Why do we get worked up over birthdays and anniversaries?
I’m not sure how it is in other countries or societies, but in the U.S., we are fixated on numbers and measurements. We then let those figures dictate our thinking. We would all be better off if we stopped fixating.

For me, nothing is different today. I’m still here and thankful for that fact. So what’s the huge deal? Indeed, I look completely different from my days growing up on Ohio’s north coast. When I visit these days many do not recognize me. I’m sure they walk away and are stunned that I’m a grown man. I suppose I can make a big deal out of that, but I cannot because it’s natural.

We all simply get older. So what. That’s fine with me. In many ways I’m better off.  I think I feel better now than when I was 18. That doesn’t mean I can go do all-nighters and then get up and take on a zillion different activities. I know that I have to be sensible and to me, that’s a challenge.

I hope I have many active years ahead, but know full well, that isn’t guaranteed, but what is guaranteed in this life – even if you take care of yourself? Nothing is fair. Should that word even be in our vocabulary?

Don't get me wrong because like most folks, I feel special on each birthday, anniversary or even holiday, I don’t let those occasions define me. Again, nothing has changed for me. I look pretty much the way I have for a long time. I’ve been called “sir” for at least the past 15 years. The bones and joints are doing fine, but I know I have to be careful and that’s the takeaway for me on this special date. I just have to take care and hope that there will be many good years ahead – and if there isn’t, well, then I’ll have to deal with those challenges. I hope and pray that me and all the people near and far to me enjoy good health and a peaceful existence.


I would like to take the time and space here to thank everyone for the birthday wishes. I am truly blessed to have all of you beautiful and talented people in my life. As Louis Armstrong once sang, “What a wonderful world!”

Comments

Most viewed

Condos. Cutting-edge restaurants. Trendy shopping.

Take time out for Virginia’s Shenandoah region

Flashback: Billy Joel's Sax Player (Mark Rivera profile-March 2007)