Running Through 2018

For me, it's been a busy year for running. I didn't think that was going to happen at first since I decided not to do the Publix full marathon again in March. Since I did one full marathon, I'm not sure if I had to prove that to myself again. I wouldn't be until I did my fourth Peachtree Road Race back in July 2018 that I would pick up the race pace. Don't get me wrong, I was still regularly running on my own, but I took a hiatus the first half of 2018. I vow not to take another hiatus like that again, so in 2019 I'm planning on some frigid winter races.
Invesco Thanksgiving Half Marathon, November 22, 2018 
Speaking of cold races, this year's 10-miler in October was probably one of the more cold, brisk ones that I took on. I did a tad better than I expected, but this was one of those races that I could not seem to totally get warm. I was little bit more worried about my third Thanksgiving Half Marathon, which turned out as cold as I expected. I think the starting temp was 35 degrees Fahrenheit. On that race, everything seemed to warm up nicely and it was a fun finish in Georgia State University Stadium where runners emerged out onto the field. That was an awesome feeling and a great surprise to me since I don't really check out the course maps before I do any races.
Aside from those races, on a lark I signed up for the Labor Day Buckhead Sizzler race, which was warmer than I expected. That course takes runners from the Chamblee MARTA station area down to the Buckhead MARTA station area. The saving grace about that course is that it's mostly downhill on Peachtree Road. I was grateful to do that race which kept me nice and prepared for the 10-miler in late October.
Race for Recovery 5K, December 15, 2018
I'm also grateful that in Peachtree Corners we have Light Up the Corners, a night-time four-mile glow run. For me, that race is good timing since it's stifling hot to run at most times during summer. Light Up the Corners is a wonderful neighborhood event which I highly recommend. It's just as well organized as the larger races in which I participate.
I like participating in races that are attached with a cause. The Buckhead Sizzler benefits Cystic Fibrosis while the race I did in mid-December benefits The Mustard Tree Foundation. That is an organization that supports recovery efforts for teens and young adults through funding sobriety programs. According to Mustard Tree, they also training for addiction counselors who are desperately needed.

Whether you are running, cycling, walking, hiking or anything else, have a wonderful 2019!

July 4, 2018, Peachtree Road Race

Comments

Most viewed

Condos. Cutting-edge restaurants. Trendy shopping.

Take time out for Virginia’s Shenandoah region

Flashback: Billy Joel's Sax Player (Mark Rivera profile-March 2007)