Hotel Elysee, New York City

I was sipping wine with hors d’oeuvres and fruits in a New York hotel’s club room, away from the bustle of midtown Manhattan a few stories below. I couldn’t hear the taxis’ blaring horns and emergency vehicles’ sirens. Those nerve-wracking sounds were drowned out with good food, drink and conversation. The wine, imported cheeses and prosecco seemed endless. The deep red hues in the room’s carpet and chairs gave me a sense of calm that I never experienced in my travels. I felt like I was in a “cultural embassy” – away from the world’s financial capital which is filled with plenty of heartache these days. I didn’t want this moment to end. Welcome to Hotel Elysee, a luxurious boutique hotel on Manhattan’s 54th Street – between Madison and Park Avenue.


Excellent location


When I was finished with my “state of nirvana” in Hotel Elysee’s Club Room, our party wandered the neighborhood. I soon discovered that Hotel Elysee is a quick walk to Central Park, Museum of Modern Art, Saks 5th Avenue and Bloomingdales. After a fast stroll through Bloomingdales and a visit to Dylan’s Candy Store, we had a late dinner at Serendipity on 60th Street. I confess that I never engage in this much activity with a short period of time at home or on vacation, but to me, New York City is like the Internet: Everything is connected and you just cannot stop. But, knowing that we had an early day ahead of us in the morning, we called it a night.

Fine accommodations



Upon returning to the hotel, I noticed that this 1920s hotel has been able to preserve its classic architecture while providing first-rate modern accommodations. Stunningly appointed rooms offer Internet access, iHome MP3 Dock/Alarm Clock Radio and a flat panel LCD television. I was skeptical about getting any sleep on my first night in New York. My philosophy was always, “sleep” and “Manhattan” do not go well together. Hotel Elysee proved me wrong. I slept like a baby.

Bountiful breakfast



After a good night’s sleep and getting ready in the room’s updated marble bathroom, I was pleasantly surprised with Hotel Elysee’s breakfast. Bagels, muffins, boiled eggs, yogurt, juices and an array of fruit are served in the Club Room. Would I return to my feelings of ecstasy again? Yes. There is something about this room that makes you want to stay. But, the breakfast rejuvenated me to take on a new day.


Hotel Elysee, great for several occasions


I found this boutique hotel to be hospitable to my family, but then again, my family is only three people: my wife, daughter and me. Staying here might be a bit tight for larger groups. I recommend Hotel Elysee for couples looking for a romantic escape to the big city or business travelers who wish to travel in style and hold meetings in their conference room.



Fast Facts

Hotel Elysee has 103 rooms – 87 Deluxe Rooms have a king bed or two double beds; Three Junior Suites have a king bed and a sitting area with a queen pull-out sofa; 10 Suites and three Premier Suites.

If you’re looking for a good workout, Hotel Elysee offers daily passes to the nearby New York Sport Club.

Hotel Elysee offers a first-rate wedding package with special rates for groups of six or more rooms.

Hotel Elysee was named for a legendary 1920s restaurant and attracted movie stars, writers, artists and intellectuals.


Hotel Elysee

1-800-535-9733

Comments

Most viewed

Condos. Cutting-edge restaurants. Trendy shopping.

Take time out for Virginia’s Shenandoah region

Flashback: Billy Joel's Sax Player (Mark Rivera profile-March 2007)